Intimate relationships are an integral part of being human at every stage of life. You may be a couple starting your relationship in your 20’s, raising children and developing your career in your 30’s, adjusting to your children leaving home in your 40’s or 50’s, or enjoying your time together later in life as grandparents. Every stage of life brings couple’s unique problems that can challenge the bond they share and that can require the help of a skilled counselling psychologist to resolve.
Common problems and challenges to relationships include but are not limited to…
- Differences in expectations for children’s behaviour and how to discipline.
- Differences in ‘who’ is responsible for ‘what’. Some partners feel they are left with the bulk of responsibility in decision making for many areas, including how finances are managed, where and when to move house, household tasks and chores and arranging outings or family social events.
- Differences in sexual desire, sexual activities and how each individual relates to their partner sexually.
- Relationship dissatisfaction that may lead to, or have led to, affairs.
- Differences in how the couple attempt to resolve conflict in the relationship. You may feel that when you raise a difficulty with your partner he just ‘shuts down’, becomes unresponsive or angry very quickly and refuses to talk about the problem in depth. Or, you may feel your partner ‘nags’, ‘hounds’ and demands too much of you when problems arise.
Every human relationship has fundamental value and can be enhanced through improved understanding and changes in how couples relate to each other and try to resolve their problems. Emotion Focused Couples Therapy has a proven track record in the management and resolution of relationship problems between couples including those detailed above as well as many others.
Couples counselling and marriage counselling appointments are 50 minutes long. Charge: $175 inside standard business hours. $190 Thursday evenings after 5pm.
Providing services to the Newport, Scarborough, Redcliffe, Margate, Kippa-Ring, Rothwell, North Lakes, Mango Hill, North Brisbane, Burpengary, Morayfield and Caboolture areas.