Shiqi (pronounced “Shiki”) Chen – Clinical Psychologist
PhD Candidate (present) – Queensland University of Technology
Master of Clinical Psychology with Distinction (2018) – Queensland University of Technology
Bachelor of Social Sciences in Psychology with Honours (2011) – National University of Singapore
Registered Clinical Psychologist – Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
Member – Australian Psychological Society
I grew up in Singapore and came to Brisbane in 2017, enjoying the gorgeous beaches in the sunshine state and probably indulging in more chocolate than I should (I blame the good quality of confectionary here). I see myself more as a cat person but you can definitely find me giving limitless pats to every dog I see.
I have my own lived experience of mental health struggles, which helps me to connect and work with people who are carrying their pain and suffering. I do not assume my experience is the same as others, and I honour deeply each individual’s journey and experiences. Working with me would mean an individualised therapy approach in a space where there is absolutely no judgment or expectations. I want to work with the person as they are, and help them to get to where they want to be. Above all, I genuinely believe in hope and the capacity for change in every human being.
My therapy approach is built on a foundation of Rogerian’s supportive counselling of positive regard. I work mainly through models of Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Schema Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), and psychodynamic-oriented therapy. I also provide Eye Movement Densensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy. I carry out consultations in both English (my first language) and Mandarin.
- 2019 – Present: Psychologist at OGI Potential
- 2017 – 2018: Master of Clinical Psychology attachments and programmes
- Member of Reflecting Team programme
- Provided therapy under Long-Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy Programme
- Worked with refugee populations at ACCESS Community Services
- Conducted psychological assessment for children and youth at Caboolture Hospital
- Carried out individual and group interventions for schizophrenic patients at forensic mental health facility The Park (High Secure Ward)
- 2014 – 2017: Psychologist at Singapore Civil Defence Force
- Provided counselling services (including 24/7 internal helpline) to emergency responders such as firefighters and paramedics, and national service conscripts
- Psychological debriefing when crises occur in line of work of the responders
- 2013-2014: Paracounsellor at Singapore Police Force
- Prior to 2013: Intern
- Institute of Mental Health
- Singapore Prison Service Counselling Service
- Ministry of Education (Psychological Assessment)
OGI Potential provides services to the Newport, Scarborough, Redcliffe, Margate, Kippa-Ring, Rothwell, North Lakes, Mango Hill, North Brisbane, Burpengary, Morayfield and Caboolture areas.